Scarlett Johansson is set to star in a new mystery Marvel project after settling her “Black Widow” lawsuit with Disney bosses.
“The Avengers” star’s mystery film was announced by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige as she was honoured with the American Cinematheque Award on Thursday night (18Nov21) in Beverly Hills, California.
After praising Scarlett’s “vision” and “intelligence,” Feige revealed they’ll team up again for a “top secret Marvel Studios project” that will not be related to her “Black Widow” character, who was killed off in 2019’s “Avengers: Endgame”.
“Scarlett has lent her talent and star power to the Marvel Cinematic Universe for over a decade,” he said. “That she’s chosen to play a key part in it for so many years, I am extremely grateful for. Working with (her) has truly been one of the most memorable and rewarding collaborations of my career.”
The news of the latest Marvel venture is a surprise because Johansson sued Disney chiefs in July (21), claiming they jeopardised potential cinema earnings from “Black Widow” and breached her contract by releasing the film simultaneously in theatres and on its Disney+ streaming service earlier that month. Disney officials fought back, alleging there was “no merit whatsoever” to her legal challenge, but ultimately settled with the star in September for $40 million (£30 million), according to reports.
And on Thursday, at her first red carpet appearance since last year’s Oscars (Feb20), Scarlett told The Hollywood Reporter she’s glad she won the precedent-setting case, which will likely benefit other actors.
“I feel mostly very fortunate that nobody will have to go through what I went through and that it’s made, I think, a positive impact in the industry and hopefully for artists and creatives’ lives and livelihood,” she said.